Friday, November 04, 2005

NIN in NYC, part deux

Nine Inch Nails at MSG. Aw yeah.


Y'all know that Liz and I would be representin' Northern Gramercy/Southern Murray Hill/Western Kips Bay at the Garden, yo.

We got General Admission tickets through The Spiral (the NIN fan club), and since we got the pre-sale ones, we had access to the pit, so we got up really close to the stage, about two "rows" of people back from the metal fence, and slightly towards stage right. We were far enough from the middle to manage to avoid the mosh pit that inevitably formed, but still very much in the middle. The scene was set for a kick-ass show.

The opening bands were Death From Above 1979 and Queens of the Stone Age. I'd obviously heard of the latter, but not the former. Death From Above 1979 are a bass and drum duo. The bassist can play some sick stuff, à la Cliff Burton. The drummer isn't bad, and he sings while playing. He actually reminds me of the singer from At The Drive-In and The Mars Volta... Overall I wasn't a fan, and neither was Liz, despite having one or two good songs. I think they could do with some variety, probably by adding a guitar.

Queens of the Stone Age were fine for what they are: pretty frat-boy-ish rock and roll. A lot of their songs sound very similar, but they did have their share of good songs, much more so than DFA 1979. They played the three singles of theirs that I'd heard on the radio (Little Sister, Go With the Flow, No One Knows), and I really liked some of their other songs, but alas do not know their names. I'm thinking of just downloading their stuff on BitTorrent (best way to download music/movies/TV shows and such) and trying to find those songs.

One thing that I need to mention before getting into NIN's performance, though...

[rant]One song into the Queens of the Stone Age set these two totally alpha-male-jock-meathead-type dudes totally wedge themselves in front of Liz and I, displacing not only the two of us but a lot of other girls that had been at the front of pit with us since before DFA 1979 even started setting up. They just muscled their way forward and got right in front of us, which is totally an asshole thing to do, and just not good concert etiquette. They were taller than most of the girls they displaced, so I just don't get why they were being suck dicks... Liz was fuming, but didn't say anything. Then while NIN was getting set up one of their fellow alpha-male-jock-meathead-type friends shows up (they'd been on the phone with him and madly gesticulating into the vastness of MSG hoping that their buddy would see them) and proceeds to wedge in front of us from the other side, meeting up with Asshole A and Asshole B (thus making him Asshole C). Liz completely blew her top at this and started telling them they were dicks for doing that and such, and rightfully so. She even called one of them a "thickneck", I believe, :-). Anyway, these guys started talking back and obviously weren't going to move. One of them was like "Well, if you don't want this to happen then don't go to a concert", and more B.S. like that. I enjoy being up close and personal with the band and moshing as much as any other guy, but I still have concert etiquette...[/rant]

Sooooo, after managing to calm Liz down and cheer her up (so she wouldn't let these turds ruin the NIN show for her), Trent and company took the stage. They first lowered a see-through curtain, and proceeded to fill up the entire stage with a metric fuckton of smoke. They then took the stage to Pinion, as usual, and then started their set, which clocked in at about 95-100 minutes, which ain't too shabby. This is the complete setlist:

Pinion
Love Is Not Enough
You Know What You Are?
Terrible Lie
The Line Begins To Blur
March Of The Pigs
Something I Can Never Have
The Frail
The Wretched
Closer
Burn
Gave Up
Eraser
Right Where It Belongs
Beside You In Time
The Collector
Wish
Only
Reptile
Hurt
Suck
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like A Hole

Some highlights included Eraser, that they don't generally play live, and Right Where it Belongs, that they didn't play when Liz and I saw them at the Hammerstein back in May. I was very happy with the set, as was Liz, and my one complaint is that they played so much stuff from the new album. Then again it is the With Teeth Tour, so it's quite understandable. I would've loved to hear Starfuckers Inc., but I've heard the song a bunch, so it's no biggy.

I also wanted to add that I totally called when they were going to play not only March of the Pigs but Wish. I guess I've heard enough live NIN shows to recognize when they're going to follow-up with those two moshers (and the setlist was way different from the Hammerstein show, too). Damn I'm good, :-). I should also mention that during Eraser I was confused and thought it was Help Me I'm In Hell, whereas Liz realized that it was Eraser. Who'd have thought that she'd make such a NIN fan out of me!

Overall we both tremendously enjoyed the show, and in future whenever we go see NIN I'll be sure to try and get General Admission tickets, so we can be in the Pit. My ears are still ringing from the sonic assault!

Hugs,
Luis

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Luis, been looking for the latest info on attract beautiful women and found NIN in NYC, part deux. Though not exactly what I was searching for, it did get my attention. Interesting post, thanks for a great read.

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Luis, I had been out looking for some new information on how to meet girls when I found your site and NIN in NYC, part deux. Though not just what I was searching for, it drew my attention. An interesting post and I thank you for it.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home