Friday, February 02, 2007

A diversion

I am really trying not to turn For the eye into a fashion blog, because I know many of our readers are straight dudes who couldn't care less. Still, I hope you will permit me a few posts now and again...

Let's talk about John Galliano. His Spring 07 couture collection for Dior well and truly melted my face off. Inspired by Madame Butterfly (and who isn't!), he returned to the interplay of form and color for which he is so well-loved, taking a turn away from his recent hyper-aggressive work. This aqua and yellow dress is the garden party attire of my fantasies, and what is couture really but an expression of the imagination? This neutral gown evokes a progressive Victorian lady, and a red and black gown makes me want to shout, "Konichiwa, Toreador!" Finally, who could not love this bride? She's all softness and form at once - romantic and sentimental with an stimulating origami twist. This is a gown for a woman who wants to be a pretty princess on her wedding day, but is unwilling to abandon her intellect and her strength to do so. Had I all the money in the world, I couldn't buy a more perfect gown.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home