Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Schadenfreude

Yes, I know that this term has been done to death in the media of late (sort of like metrosexual, Fab Fiveā„¢, and Yeeeeeargh!); however, there is no other term to describe the truly perverse pleasure I take in the discomfort of others.

Sadly, my schadenfreude extends not only to strangers, but also to loved ones - ostensibly people who I should be horrified to see hurt. I remember getting into awful giggle fits when I was a child because my mother had stubbed her toe and was making that untypeable, sucking in "Sssssss" noise. Why is that funny? I can't explain it, but I know that I'm cracking up just sitting here typing it.

When Luis and I first started dating, we were cuddling on his bed one night when he brought his head down really hard against the windowsill. Kersmack! True to form, I started laughing so hard I was crying. I kept trying to hold it in, but I'm sure he could tell because my whole body was shaking with the effort. I apologized and apologized, but I think I really hurt his feelings that night. (Sorry again, honey!)

The most memorable incident I can think of happened when I was a sophomore at Hopkins. Levering Hall held a partially below-grade cafeteria that was only open for breakfast and lunch. Jenny and I (or was I alone? I can't remember now) were approaching the entrance below the Glass Pav, which had about eight brick stairs leading down. It had been pissing rain all day, and I remember seeing this freshman (who had very recognizable magenta hair) coming out of the doors and starting up the stairs. He was carrying a big sandwich on a styrofoam plate with one of those plastic lids that never seems to stay in place, balanced atop a large soda cup. Naturally, the poor kid completely did a face plant on the wet slippery stairs, his sandwich exploding in midair and soda cup executing a fantastic triple flip before hitting the brick below. To this day, I crack up when I think of this incident. It happened so fast too - poor kid. I wonder if he remembers me as some gothy bitch who was laughing at him as he tried to pick up the remains of his lunch and his dignity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Yay, there you are! I was wondering when you'd find us. I didn't want to be all, "Hey (hey), you (you), come look at our blog!" OK, that was a really bad Rolling Stones reference, and I don't even like them! Sheesh.
Well, thanks for coming by! You just made my day. :)

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home