Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Post-script to previous...

So I just made the trek over to the Virgin Megastore in Times Square to pick up the soundtrack to "Life Aquatic", since they don't carry it at the Altitunes in Grand Central that is right by me... A minute after walking into the Virgin Megastore I walked up to the first Virgin employee I saw and asked where to find the soundtrack to "Life Aquatic". He looked at me, looked down at the pile of CDs he was carrying and pulled out a copy of the soundtrack. "You rock," I said to him, and 5 minutes later I was on my way back to work. Bitchin'.

From the liner-notes written by Wes Anderson: "Seu Jorge, as Pelé dos Santos, translated, adapted, and performed eleven David Bowie songs for us in Portuguese. He sang on the decks of our ship, the Belafonte, while we were running at full steam on the open sea; he sang from the stage of an opera house in Naples; he sang on our studio sets at Cinecitta; and he played one song sitting on the roof of a lighthouse we had built next to a medieval castle. I tried to understand the Portuguese. Thinking of the lyrics in English, I asked, "Jorge, which word means 'cigarette'?" because none of them sounded anything like it. He nodded and said something very poetic about friendship and hope and the future -- but no 'cigarette'. I took a minute and thought about this, and then I said, "OK, but every once in a while add in a 'Rebel Rebel', will you?" I never read any complete translations, but in the end I am convinced that Jorge's words -- and unquestionably his beautiful performances -- capture the spirit of David Bowie's. Exactly what we were looking for."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home