Thursday, April 28, 2005

NIN extravaganza!

So I have my dear Lizochka to blame to giving me her love of NIN, back when we started dating...

By the time I got to college I'd obviously heard a few NIN songs that were well-known, like "Head Like a Hole", "Closer" and "Perfect Drug" (the first NIN track I ever heard, since I caught the video on MTV Latin America one day back home in the deep deep South and really liked it), but I'd never had too much exposure to their whole body of work. During freshman year my friend Brian bought The Fragile and so I had my first taste of a full NIN album, and I was intrigued. I didn't like it that much at first, but it grew on me slowly.

Yet for some reason I never went out and got the previous NIN albums that were available, not even as part of my shirt-lived-Napster-download-fest (if you'll recall my school was one of the initial universities sued by Metallica over Napster in early 2000 [damn you, Lars!]), and I sort of forgot about NIN for a few years, though some songs were still on my playlist.

Enter my beautiful girl.

One of my first times at her old place in Astoria I noticed her stack of NIN albums, and my curiosity was immediately piqued, since I had a chance to do what I meant to do 4 years prior. So I started borrowing them and listening to them, and I really got into it. It turned out that the two of us even liked one album in particular the best: Broken. I remember when she asked me which one I liked the best, and I was so happy that it was the one she liked best, too. It really showed me how much the two of us have in common, how much our likes are similar, and how well we mesh together, something that has been proven to me time and time again in the almost year-and-a-half we've been together (June 1st the 1.5-year mark, and we'll be celebrating that one in Argentina, over a big plate of cow).

So where am I going with all this?

Well, about a month ago the first single ("The Hand That Feeds") from NIN's upcoming album (With Teeth) started getting heavy play on K-Rock, and I really liked it a lot. Just last week Trent released a GarageBand version of this single, for people to play around with, remix and create their own versions (you can see the hundreds of results here, and many of them are quite good). On a sidenote: that actually got me really into the idea of giving music-making a try. In fact, I'm buying a MIDI keyboard from a friend of mine and getting a copy of Reason in order to give it a shot to see if I'm any good and if I like it. Wish me luck, 'cause I'm gonna need it.

But anyway, today, while checking out people's remixes of THTF I went over to nin.com to check out when the new album was coming out, and lo and behold did I get a surprise... No, not that it comes out in a week (that was a surprise, too, but it gets better), but that you can listen to the whole frickin' thing over on NIN's official Myspace page! It loads up a little Flash program and you can stream the entire album, from start to finish. Not only that, but you can also listen to it on Much Music's webpage, if you want to go track-by-track.

So yeah, all this coupled with the fact that I have absolutely jack-squat to do at work right now and am billing to "downtime" (legalese for "Do your thang, g!") means that today has become one big NIN extravaganza. I've been sitting at my desk with my headphones plugged-in for a few hours now, and I anticipate doing the exact same thing until the appointed hour arrives and I head home, where I will proceed to load all this stuff up for da pup to listen to when she gets home.

God DAMN I love the internet.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://tauozbrl.com/moqk/mjjs.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://lolfqqqw.com/jidy/ypvw.html]Cool site[/url]

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://tauozbrl.com/moqk/mjjs.html | http://uwfdmpws.com/zrao/jdyc.html

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home